Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 137: Rubbings Day


    Monday's prompt was to make a rubbing with paper and rough objects.  I got my theme days mixed up and decided to do it today while on my walk.  Gravestones are the usual source for these things and there just happens to be a cemetery within walking distance.  It's funny, though, I've passed this little cemetery thousands and thousands of times in my life.  I pass it nearly every time I leave home, but I can't remember ever setting foot in it.  
     This little cemetery is just off the road nearly a mile from my house.  From the road, you can see that one end is very old and overgrown while on the other end someone cuts the grass and cares for it.  Many of the people buried there lived and died in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  As I was doing my rubbing, as respectfully as possible,  I read some of the inscriptions and wondered about some of the people.  Agnes was nearly 73 when she passed away the day after Christmas in 1860.  An unnamed infant was buried there in 1897.  Possibly the newest grave was from 2011 and featured a colored etching of a seventeen- year- old fishing and it towered over the small grave of a World War 2 sailor.  I'm not trying to depress anyone, I just think it's interesting the things you find just a short walk down the road that you don't even know were there.  

LOVE SOMEBODY!  Just give someone you love a hug tonight... because you can.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment