Sunday, March 10, 2013

How To: Packing Tape Transfers


This piece began as an experiment.  You may recognize the image from my drawing,  Ta Suil (Irish for hope.)  I took the drawing and transferred it onto a collage on mat board using transfer paper.  After painting, I decided to add some text using the packing tape transfer method which I'll show you today.
First, I took an old art magazine and clipped out some words that spoke to me and placed them on some pieces of packing tape.
  
Then, I placed each piece of tape in a bowl of water and let it soak a second or two.  After that, I gently rubbed away the paper backing with my finger.
The paper backing comes off pretty easy and I'm left with just the words on the tape.

Sometimes, the tape is still sticky enough that you can just attach it to the piece.  Otherwise, you can use gel medium to adhere it.



No comments:

Post a Comment