Thursday, January 16, 2014

Happy New Year! and Automatic Drawing


"Lovers' Wreck"   Fluid acrylic on paper.   2014

     Happy belated New Year, everyone!  It's been a while... on this blog anyway.  I got an account on Tumblr towards the end of last year for my daily drawings and have been trying to figure out what this blog should be.  I usually like for things have a sense of unity, but, at least for now, I'm going to experiment and let things evolve. 
     I feel like I'm still at that point in my career when I'm trying to nail down a certain signature style.  It's been quite frustrating most of the time, but I hear it's part of the process.  Also, apparently, you have to experiment and produce A LOT of work before you get to the really good stuff.  So, like I said, I've been posting drawings to Tumblr everyday.  I've been working on an exercise called "100 Faces" from the book Drawing Lab by Carla Sonheim where you draw, well, one hundred faces.  I've been doing the first batch in graphite pencil, a media I really need to improve in (can't you tell?)  I've been working in pen and marker so long and it's time to loosen up.
    Speaking of loosening up, I finally bought this drawing book I've had my eye on and just finished the chapter about automatic drawing.  (Google it.)  The workshop exercise it suggests involves taping a large piece of paper to the wall and going at it with a paint brush (which would make it painting, wouldn't it?) like a fencer with a foil.  So, I thought I should try it...
        


No comments:

Post a Comment